Surabaya is the capital city of East Java and ranked the second after Jakarta for the largest city in Indonesia. Poor me, having to treat Surabaya as my transit zone, by knowing there is so much more to explore in this city. “Thanks” to my driver for showing me around Surabaya for 2 hours during midnight “rush” (not for the red light district though).
I pick up quite a couple of notes for Surabaya:
- Generally, people are sporty; I can see cycling as the visibly top sport there.
- Fortunate me, Surabaya people are nice with Surabaya accent (which is cute). Special thanks to the very local Ms Lilie and Ms Andri.
- Obviously, Surabaya is cleaner than Jakarta and Medan.
- Is it global warming or the Celsius in Surabaya is uber high?
This time around, there are 2 reviews:
- Hotel Majapahit – 65 Jalan Tunjungan (5*)
Vintage is the word, opulent is the style and colonial-era is the theme. I would say Majapahit is one of the gems in Surabaya. Located in the heart of Surabaya with the architecture of its own class, it gains my highest respect and review easily. Oh dear, Majapahit just set up a higher bar for small boutique hotel to match.
2. Hotel Novotel Surabaya – Jalan Ngagel 173 – 175 (4*)
The facade is deceivingly good and the room is a total let down. Dear Novotel, a lot of refurbishment you need on your interior.
Verdict: It is pretty clear, isn’t it?
Lastly, the essence of life (which is short) is to play hard and work even harder!