Abu Dhabi, being one of the richest cities in the world, is developing fast enough to match the buzz of Dubai. Construction is a common sight in the capital city of UAE. It would be no surprise too if Abu Dhabi surpasses Dubai in the tourism industry in the near future.
One of the most prestigious projects in town would most probably be the al’mighty Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Being one of the top destinations in town, the mosque is definitely living it up to the expectation. Even under the scorching heat of 42°C, I could easily forget about the sweat and forge on to admire the mastery of the architectural craft.
Even before I’d land a foot into the mosque, some of the facts here leave me in awe:
– Construction cost is 545 million USD (2 billion dirhams)
– More than 3,000 workers and 38 renowned contracting companies took part in the construction of the Mosque
– The 22,000 square meter Mosque is equivalent to the size of five football fields, and can accommodate 41,000 worshippers
– Approximately thirty different types of marble have been used throughout the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
– It features 82 domes of Moroccan design and all decorated with white marble of seven different sizes, over 1,000 columns, 24 carat gold gilded chandeliers