Medan, the fourth largest city in Indonesia, undoubtedly where I call my home that holds a fuzzy spot in my heart. The question I get most frequently when I proudly declare myself as a Medanese is ‘what is special or defines Medan?’
To be utterly frank, I have been to the largest volcanic lake in the world, Lake Toba, for countless time, driven pass The Great Mosque, Tjong A Fie Mansion, Maimoon Palace and The City Hall, since I have seen light in this world. When you see landmarks for just way too many times, it would seem mediocre. I might not be the best person to recommend for sightseeing, but what never fails to disappoint is the extraordinary culinary indulgence.
For close to 15 years, I left my hometown to get a taste of food around the world, but I have to say, nothing is as delightful as Medanese food. As the prelude for your trip to Medan, these few eateries gives a mouth-watering glimpse of what Medan has to offer and the list goes on awaiting for your debarkation.
1. Nasi Ayam Asen, Jln Sumatera No 68F 86, Medan (Chicken Rice)
2. Tabona, Jln Mangkubumi No 17, Medan (Curry Noodle)
3. Sate Kacang, Jalan Asia 47 C Medan (Satay with Peanut Sauce)
4. Bakso Aan, Jln Singa, Medan (Meatball Noodle)
5. A Heng Emie, Jalan Asia 47 C Medan ((literally Boiled Noodles)
6. Kwetiau Goreng Jln Gedeh, Medan (Fried Flat Noodle)
7. Warung Kopi Srikandi, Plaza Medan Fair Lt.4 (Jl. Gatot Subroto) (Misc Indonesian Dessert)
8. Sate Padang Ajo ,Jln Tilak, Medan (Satay)
9. Mie Hock Seng, Jln Kumango, Medan (Hokkien Noodle)
10. Bebek Bihun Asia, Jalan Kumango No 15, Kesawan, Medan (Duck Noodle)
11. Chasio Afuk 88 , Jln Katamso No 80E, Medan (BBQ pork)