Early in 2011, I’ve listed my Top 10 must do activities in Bali after a few visits. That was my first article in travelwithoutborders.wordpress.com and thank god, my passion for travelogue and photography is still going strong. Up till this point, I feel 10 might be too little for an island that is gradually becoming more alive! Because of my recent visit and discovery, I have decided to add in another 3 (13 – 15) to the list.
1. Kuta is a must. A night in Kuta makes me feel as young as 17 again!
Warning: Don’t expect a quiet night to cuddle with your partner. If you can’t stand the hustle and bustle of teenagers, please don’t bother to even stay here for a night!
2. Seminyak is so-in! You can expect a better crowd here (I mean for my age, and I am a selfish brat with a longing for a sip of cocktail in a quiet lounge)
Warning: Ku De Ta is totally over-rated. Except for the stylish crowd, the pricing is just way too much!
3. Nusa Dua Resort Complex! The best place to do resort hopping from Aman Nusa to St Regis, they have it all here.
Warning: Remember your dress code before resort hopping!
4. AmanKila and Bvlgari are 2 of the best resorts in the WORLD. They will stick on my mind for a very long time! (Seriously!). Do check out the rest of the Aman Resorts in the world!
Warning: Expect a total bill of 4 digits in USD or 8 digits in Rupiah!
5. Kecak Dance in Uluwatu (remember, in Uluwatu and no other place!) I can be quite a cultured person once in a while. Kecak totally blown me away!
Warning: Go there early to get a better seat! Mine was really good!
6. Lovina! I thought sunset rising up sheepishly from the mountain was just my imagination of a 5-year-old boy during a drawing lesson. It was so picturesque, so unreal until the heat of the sun touched my skin. Dolphin hunting was pretty fun too, speaking from a city boy that hardly went to watch a dolphin in the circus.
Warning: Stay a night around Ubud area will make your journey to Lovina a lot easier!
7. Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) is a private cultural park with the statue of Vishnu of 23 m high.
8. Bluepoint Beach! A surfer paradise!
Warning: Dreamland is way too rowdy and dirty for surfing! Bluepoint is just another 15 minutes drive away!
9. Ubud! All of the well known artists are here. Strictly for painting, handcraft, clothing (local brand) lovers only! Don’t forget to sit by the paddy field for a sip of lemon grass! Babi Guling Bu Oka and Bebek Bengil are here too!
10. Nasi Pedas Ibu Andhika is my all time favorite food in Bali. 15 minutes drive away from the airport and you can get the lips of Angelina Jolie in within 20 mins.
Warning: For chili lovers and road-side eaters only!
11. Tegallalang, Ubud – it was my utmost pleasure to hike around cascading paddy fields, the view is simply incredible; it is worlds apart from a metropolis.
Warning: Don’t wear slippers; your life will be a lot easier!
12. Mount Batur – the sunrise at the peak of Mt Batur is just amazing, you get to admire the beauty of Mt Rinjani, Mt Agung, Mt Abang and Kintamani altogether!
Tip: Join the tour group and remember to bring your torch light!
13. Rock Bar, Ayana Resort And Spa, Uluwatu
Unquestionable one of the most raved hotel bars in the world, overlooking the Indian Ocean, Rock Bar often gets into the limelight splashing headlines in travel magazines for its panoramic sunset view. In my opinion, it seem to me to be slightly overrated, but still a place that is worth a visit at least once!
14. Tegal Wangi Beach, Uluwatu
With its strategic location next to the Ayana’s Rock Bar, Tegal Wangi Beach is the next big thing for sunset watching in Bali. The stunning view can be appreciated without paying an exorbitant price of cocktails at the Rock Bar. If you are looking for a beach for fishing and waves for chilling, you will most probably be in the right place!
15. Hanging Gardens Ubud
Hidden in a lush forest of Ubud, the two tiered infinity pool is definitely the main highlight of my most recent visit to Ubud! Though it is not located in the heart of Ubud, I am very much contented with my own rendezvous moments with the tropical paradise surrounding the Hanging Gardens Ubud.